Tri-County Electric Cooperative, in partnership with Texas Electric Cooperatives, sponsors six high school students on an all-expense-paid trip to our Nation's Capital to tour historic sites, meet US congressional representatives, gain leadership experience and learn about the electric cooperative industry. Tri-County Electric Cooperative's Youth Tour Participants will receive a $2,000 scholarship for higher education or trade school.
Senator Lyndon B. Johnson initiated the Government In-Action Youth Tour in 1957 so young people in rural America could "see what the flag stands for and represents." In 1965, Texas Electric Cooperatives organized the first official Texas Youth Tour.
55 years later, the Youth Tour stands true to Johnson's dream and the cooperative spirit. Participants are able to interact with nearly 2,000 participants from across our great nation. Tri-County Electric Cooperative is excited to offer the opportunity to our young members.
Applications are open for the 2021 Youth Tour!
- Be a current sophomore or junior in high school
- Reside in a home powered by Tri-County Electric Cooperative, at your primary residence
- Submit a complete application by 5 pm Friday, January 15, 2021. No late applications will be accepted
- Applicants who advance to the interview level must attend a 15-minute interview with the Youth Tour Committee
- Selected participants must attend a pre-trip meeting with Co-op Staff in May 2020
- Complete application
- 500-word essay or 2-minute video on one of the following topics
- If you could talk to a If you could talk to a political leader, what would you ask and why? (Political leaders may include the President, Governor of Texas, Ag Commissioner, Representative, Mayor, etc.)
- Should electric linemen be considered first responders? Why or why not?
- If you were to start a cooperative, what kind would it by and what products or services would it offer?
- 2 letters of recommendation
- High resolution headshot (school photo is preferred)
2020 Youth Tour Winners
Tri-County Electric Cooperative's 2020 Youth Tour contest was a success! Thank you to all our applicants who participated in the competition. The 2020 Youth Tour winners are:
- Grace Bussmeir, Aledo High School
- Parker Davis, Timber Creek High School
- Wendy Nottorf, Keller High School
- Blaine Orsak, Seymour High School
- Lyndon Wright, Seymour High School
- Race Zweig, Homeschool/Travis Academy of Fine Arts
Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, the 2020 Youth Tour was canceled. While our six winners will not travel to Washington, DC, this June, they will receive their $2,000 scholarship for college or trade school.
2019 Youth Tour Winners
Tri-County Electric Cooperative's 2019 Youth Tour contest was a success! Thank you to all our applicants who participated in the competition. The 2019 Youth Tour winners are:
- Arya Kumar, Keller High School
- Kade McAdams, Seymour High School
- Destiny Otparlik, Azle High School
- Cole Petit (Brazos Winner), Seymour High School
- Jackson Schriver, Brock High School
- Nikoletta Shockley, Southlake Carroll High School
- Chase Torgesen, Alze High School